Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me… for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs… Then he took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them.” Mark 10:14, 16
It is always a special occasion when we have the opportunity to welcome a child. At Eden Mennonite Church, we celebrate this new life in worship with a service of Parent-Child Dedication.
Parent-Child Dedication means three things:
- It is an expression of thanks to God for the precious gift of your child’s life.
- It is a commitment by you as parents to provide regular Christian nurture for your child.
- It is a commitment by the Eden congregation to be partners with you, as parents, in providing Christian nurture for your child.
Here is some important information for participants in Parent-Child Dedication:
- Your name and your child’s name will be listed in the bulletin.
- We will gather at 9:00 a.m. at the front of the sanctuary for a photo and brief instructions.
- Near the beginning of the worship service (which begins at 9:30 a.m.) you will be invited to come to the front of the sanctuary.
- There will be a brief introduction to the background and meaning of the event.
- You will be asked a few questions about your commitment to raise your child in the Christian faith.
- The congregation will offer a response.
- One of the pastors will hold your child and say the words of dedication.
- You will be given a certificate of dedication.
- If you would like to make a brief statement of what this occasion means to you, read a short letter to your child or a special verse of Scripture, this is welcome but optional.If you would like to know more, you are welcome to contact one of the pastors.