Eden Mennonite Church is a part of the Western District Conference of Mennonite Church USA.
- See more information about Western District Conference at http://mennowdc.org/.
- Learn more about Mennonite Church USA at www.mennoniteusa.org.
Building Use Plan for Eden Mennonite Church
Because we are still in the midst of a global pandemic, we will exercise caution in our public gatherings and may need to suspend them in the future. We will pay attention to the spread of COVID-19 and the actions of local entities like Moundridge School District, McPherson County Health Department, and regional hospitalizations to help us discern our response to changing realities.
In our gathering we will care for each other, especially the most vulnerable among us, through the following behaviors:
– We will stay home if we are exhibiting any symptoms of illness (fever, cough, loss of smell or taste, etc.)
– We will follow good hygiene practices (coughing and sneezing into our arms, using hand sanitizer, washing hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, etc.)
– We will wear masks in the church building. (Masks will be available for those who did not bring one with them.)
– We will maintain 6 feet of distance between household units as we sit in the pews. – We will continue social distancing as we visit with each other before and after worship. – We will refrain from singing for at least the first month of indoor worship. – We will inform the church office immediately if we have received a positive test result for COVID-19 and have recently been present for a worship service in the building.
The following are other practices that the church will do, for the time being, to lower the risk of disease transmission:
– Every other pew row will be roped off to help facilitate appropriate spacing. – There will be no Coffee or Potlucks
– Sanctuary doors will be propped open to increase air circulation.
– There will be a limited number of printed bulletins available to pick up. – Microphones will not be passed, but will be set up on stands for individuals to use when sharing announcements and prayer requests.
– The custodian will disinfect commonly touched items like pew backs, door handles, and bathroom hardware.
– Children will remain in their pews during the Children’s Time.
– The Library will be open with a sign emphasizing social distancing.
– The Fellowship Hall will be available during worship, with tables and chairs maintaining appropriate spacing.
– Offerings will be collected in one common container at the back of the sanctuary following the worship service.
– The church office will comply with county requests if the need for contact tracing arises.
Funerals will follow the above practices. Additionally, the traditional meal following the funeral may occur, but limited to family (as invited by the immediate family of the deceased). Mary Martha will determine their availability to serve. Funerals may need to be catered from outside the congregation.
Sunday School Guidelines for Returning to the Building
In addition to guidelines sent out by the ELT, the following practices will be used to lower the risk of disease transmission during Sunday School. Some classes have been moved to accommodate the number of kids in a class. A list of those changes is available from Marcy Schrag. The classrooms have been set up with tables and chairs keeping the number of students in mind.
Junior SS Classes
● Masks should be worn at all times.
● Teachers will be responsible for disinfecting the classroom before the start of class. This would include wiping down tables, chairs, door handles, etc. Supplies for disinfecting will be provided.
● Parents should bring their children to class and have their child sanitize their hands before entering the classroom using one of the disinfecting stands that are available. Parents should pick up their child at the end of class. Teachers should not let the children leave without a parent.
● There will be no singing of the Big Song and no Kid’s Choir.
● Class will begin immediately following the benediction and will last for 25 minutes. The first bell will be rung at 20 minutes, with the final bell at 25 minutes.
● Teachers should sanitize their hands before entering the SS supply room. ● If needed, arrangements can be made to open the church on Saturdays for prep work.
Adult Sunday School
● Adult SS classes can decide if and when to meet as long as all guidelines are followed. If you have trouble finding a space, contact a member of the Education Commission. Each class is responsible for disinfecting their own room.
● The nursery will not be staffed. Parents can use the nursery at their discretion. Please disinfect whatever is used before leaving.
● The library will only be available on Sunday mornings. The rest of the week the curtain will be closed in order to reduce the possibility of contamination.
If you have questions please contact an Education Commission member. Marcy Schrag, Sarah Neufeld, Cory Harrison, Amy Krehbiel, Laurie Schrag